Minimally Invasive Knee Replacement Surgery in India
When it comes to orthopaedics, there are not many procedures that have the same ubiquity as the knee replacement procedures. This procedure entails the replacement of the articular cartilage, the lower end of the femur and the upper end of the lower leg. Now, there are two variants of this surgery, the open one and the minimally invasive one. While the minimally invasive one is the desirable one because of the obvious one, are you suited for a total knee replacement by minimally invasive surgery?
What is minimally invasive total knee Arthroplasty?
Before we delve into understanding what is minimally invasive road to total knee replacement, let us get an idea of what is total knee replacement surgery. In this procedure, the following three parts replaced with prosthesis:
- The femur (Lower thigh bone)
- The patella (the higher end of leg bone)
- The articular cartilage.
The goal is to replace this ball and socket joint with prosthesis. The process involved with this procedure is quite, well....involved. What do we mean by this is that that the procedure entails the orthopaedics to get close and personal with the patient’s knee. Furthermore, the recovery process after the transplant is quite drawn out and painful. This is the reason that minimally invasive knee replacement surgery in India came into picture.
The minimally invasive procedure is the same in this case as the one. However, there is a difference in the sizes of incision made in order to get to the joint, resurfacing them and place the replacement. How they are different:
- The incisions made are about half the size of the ones in the standard procedure.
- Specialized instruments are used to make the transplant within a confined space
- The quadriceps is spared.
As a result of minimal invasion and muscle conservation, you are looking at a procedure that does less damage and in turn you will be able to go through a much smaller physical therapy routine. However, is this procedure for every one?
The minimally invasive knee replacement procedure is not suitable
As the procedure is fairly new, there is a narrow spectrum within which this procedure is suitable. To that end, your orthopaedic is going to do certain evaluation to see if you fall under this spectrum.
- If you are not healthier, and thinner or young, you are not suitable for this form of procedure.
- If you have already gone through other knee surgeries, then you cannot opt for the minimally invasive procedure this time.
- If you are overweight, this surgery won’t be recommended for you.
- The patients that have deformity of the knee cannot opt for this surgery because the minimally invasive technique does the minimalistic job. And with deformity, there is a lot more involved.
- If you have a condition where your wounds heal really slowly, you are not suitable to get this form of surgery.
The knee replacement surgery in India entails the minimally invasive path. However, it is only meant for the younger individuals. To that end, if you are young and have gone through something terrible that have damaged your knee, there is a chance for you to get this form of surgery.
The matter of now being able to opt for the minimal surgical procedure might be demotivating. However, the standard procedure is applicable. It might take a bit of time to recovery, but you will be able to walk later on.