What to Eat after Hip Replacement Surgery
After you have gone through the hip replacement surgery, the purpose of your lifestyle and your diet is get you to full recovery as soon as possible. While you might think that the matter of what you eat is not that important, i assure you that it is. A right diet can ensure that you would be running in marathons soon while a wrong diet is going to move you back to square one. Therefore, through the course of this article, we are going to tell you about what to eat after hip replacement surgery?
Your diet after hip replacement surgery matters
There is saying- you are what you eat. This saying might seem a bit weird in this context. However, I assure you that it is necessary; the right diet will make you sturdy enough so that you can get back in the saddle of your new prosthetics and walk fast and painlessly. However, if you are not taking your diet in account in this matter, it can pretty much have a reverse affect. As a result, you might feel like your body is growing and the hips are not able to carry you. With this mind set, refer to the following diet after hip replacement surgery:
- Smaller meals are your ally: Now, you do need to maintain your strength in order for you to make sure that your physical therapy process goes adequately. To that end, you need to take full meals. However, you need to spread them out in smaller meals. This way, your meals will be distributed better.
- Entail a lot of fibre in your diet: make sure to include fruits, vegetables, cooked beans and whole grains in your diet. They will make sure that you have a healthy bowel movement and assist you with reducing weight.
- Calcium: make sure that you eat and drink foods that have appropriate amount of calcium. For that you need to eat yogurt, cheese and partake in calcium rich energy drinks. Hip replacement surgery deals with joints after all. Therefore, make your bones strong.
- Vitamin C: Your surgical wounds need healing. While antibiotics and other meds will deal with it, there is no harm in accelerating the healing process by eating foods that are rich in vitamin C.
- Drink water, a lot of water: Constipation leads to weight gain and then it leads to hip pain and the circle shall go on. Therefore, drinking water is necessary to prevent this from happening. Make sure that you drink a lot of water to prevent yourself from getting constipated.
So, to get the gist of your diet, it should entail:
- Low fat milk, raisin bran cereal, whole wheat toast and peanut butter for breakfast
- Lettuce and tomato with brown bread and soy milk for lunch
- Baked leans, raw carrots, iced tea and lean meats for dinner
- And for snacks, you cannot go wrong with dried fruits and nuts.
These are dietary options that you do have if you want to accelerate your recovery after you have gone through total hip replacement surgery in India.
If you want more options pertaining to this, you should get in touch with our orthopaedists and that can provide you better dietary measures to take.